The History of the village Prakovce
In 1368 a Hungarian king Louis I. ordered a revision of Gelnica town vicinity. Property which was found in this village and also Villa Praktonis were again belonged to the town Gelnica. This revision is the first written mention of the village Prakovce at all.
We cannot find out how Gelnica was got with their communities into a serfish relation to noble family Zapolsky. In 1527 a Hungarian monarch Ferdinad l. granted Jan Zapolsky´s property to the Comorian earl and the main royal cashier Alexis Thurzo. Gelnica with Villa Praktonis together with other municipalities passed into the property Thurzos.
At the beginning of the 16 century the most significant owner of the village Prakovce certainly was Alexi l. Thurzo, who held high administrative and economic functions in the country. He died in 1543.
Alexei ll. Thurzo is another prominent member of Thurzo rich family and he had a direct influence on Prakovce and the iron smithy which was first mention in 1586. Anton Roll is considered for their founder and Alexei ll. Thurzo ordered his services in this locality. Anton Roll (Rholl) was according to available sources a grand enterpriser living in Levoča. He managed all production and working-out and export of iron, copper and silver ore around Spiš.
Alexei ll. Thurzo died in 1594 and all his property gradually inherted his four sons.The last of the sons, Stanislav lll. Thurzo, was elected for the royal Palatine of Hungary in May 1622. Except sons Alexei ll. Thurzo had also one daughter Susan about who we nearly know nothing but she is important for the history of the village. Susan´s daughter, who married Stephen Csaky, inherited all Thurzas property including Prakovce after extincion Spis branch of Thurzo.
A noble family Csaky comes to Spis at the beginning of 17th century. Gender – based wealth put Stephen Csaky´s wife Eva nee Forgach. She inherited it as a granddaughter when Thurzo extinct in the male. Decisive for Spis Csaky was 1702 whe there was a huge asset division and dividing into various branches of family. Then it arised Kosice – Budatin branch. Just from it emerged Csaky – Pallavicin family ( the second transylvanian branch) and also a separate Kosice family from which comes Csaky of Prakovce. Csaky made use of their property for the agriculture and forestry purposes. This is also confirmed in Prakovce where according to an extract from the cadastre they owned the extensive lands. Prakovce are also one of the few exceptions to the using of property. Csaky devoted to the processing of iron in the ironworks what in their case was quite unusual. An atypical gender metallurgical activity associated with Prakovce and Kosice- Budatin Csaky branch because other branches of this noble family did not occupy the mining or processing of iron. But Csaky not always showed interest in the development of iron production in Prakovce nevertheless they maintained a plant in operation and they never put them into rental.
In those days there were many mines and iron smithy in the valley of Hnilec from Stratena to Jaklovce and its mountain tributaries, but from of all the largest development was seen by Prakovce. For several centuries the first were the moving furnaces and hand – held hammers then Slovak iron-mill furnaces with a water-powered made the basis of production and processing of iron. In 1805 was built smelter Ironworks Lyudmila named after Lyudmila Lazanska the wife of Earl Stephen Csaky.
Since 1760 the ironworks in Prakovce, which had Slovak furnaces and iron smithy, worked constantly with no major breaks and Hnilec valley is becoming an important part of the iron industry in Slovakia.